What Is PPS Material
PPS is a white powder with an average molecular weight of 0.4-0.5 thousand and a density of 1.3-1.8 grams per cubic centimeter. It has very intentional thermal properties. The glass fiber reinforced thermal performance index is higher, its maximum continuous use temperature reaches 400 degrees, the thermal stability of pps is excellent, the weight loss is not obvious when heated to 500 degrees, it will be completely degraded to 700 degrees, its The mechanical properties decrease little with the increase of temperature. After 5000 hours heat aging at 232 degrees, its bending strength and tensile strength can still be maintained above 50%. The properties of tensile strength and flexural strength of machining pps are medium level in engineering plastics, but elongation and impact strength are very low. Therefore, additives are usually added to pps in stressed components, such as glass fiber, carbon fiber, fillers, etc. In order to enhance its mechanical properties, after this modification of pps, the main mechanical properties such as tensile properties, flexural properties, compression and impact strength have been greatly improved, but the elongation has decreased. The modified pps energy It maintains high mechanical properties and dimensional stability under the effects of long-term load and thermal load, so it can be used in high temperature stress environments.
The dielectric constant of pps is very small, and the dielectric loss is quite low. The surface resistivity and volume resistivity are not sensitive to changes in frequency, temperature, and humidity. It is an excellent electrical insulation material. It has a longer resistance to electric foxes and pps. Its chemical stability is quite good. In addition to being attacked by strong oxidizing acids such as concentrated sulfuric acid, concentrated nitric acid and aqua regia, it is not attacked by most acid and alkali salts and has chemical stability close to that of PTFE. When it is lower than 175 degrees, it is insoluble in any known organic solvents, and pps will not crack when it comes into contact with general organic solvents.
Because the molecular chain is composed of benzene rings and sulfur atoms alternately arranged, pps itself has flame retardant effect, and it can reach UL-94-VO level without adding flame retardant. Its limiting oxygen index can reach 44% -53%, which is similar to PVC. It is a self-extinguishing plastic. PPS is also very stable to ultraviolet rays and rays. It will not stick or decompose on the surface during irradiation.
The main disadvantages of pps are poor toughness, low impact strength, and insufficient melt viscosity.
Formability Of PPS Plastic Material
- Amorphous material, small moisture absorption, but should be formed after drying.
- The fluidity is between ABS and PC, with fast coagulation, small shrinkage, and easy decomposition. Use higher injection pressure and injection speed. The mold temperature is 100-150 degrees. The main channel taper should be large and the flow channel should be short. The scope of application can generally be applied to the manufacture of PPS pipes, PPS plates and other materials, mostly used in construction and home furnishings.
PPS Material Properties
- Excellent electrical insulation (especially high frequency insulation), white hard and brittle, metal sound when dropped on the ground, light transmittance second only to plexiglass, excellent water resistance and good chemical stability. It has excellent flame resistance and is a non-combustible plastic.
- The strength is average, the rigidity is very good, but the quality is brittle, easy to produce stress brittleness, not resistant to benzene, gasoline and other organic solvents. The long-term use temperature can reach 260 degrees, and it is stable in air or nitrogen at 400 degrees. Modified by adding glass fiber or other reinforcing materials, the impact strength can be greatly improved, heat resistance and other mechanical properties are also improved, the density is increased to 1.6-1.9, and the molding shrinkage is small to 0.15-0.25%. Production of heat-resistant parts, insulation parts and chemical instruments. Optical instruments and other parts.
PPS Material Specification
- Glass fiber reinforced PPS: Glass fiber is mainly used to enhance the strength of raw materials, giving products with higher hardness and rigidity.
- Carbon fiber reinforced PPS: Carbon fiber is mainly used to enhance the toughness of raw materials, so that the product has higher toughness, ensure its ability to withstand, and enhance the electrical properties of PPS plastics.
- Mineral-filled modified PPS: The conventional additions are: calcium carbonate, glass fiber, talc, etc. The basic addition of these minerals is to enhance the use, improve the impact strength, tensile strength, etc. of its plastic materials, shrinkage Rate physical properties. The addition of some chemical substances such as tougheners, molybdenum disulfide, etc. is to improve the fluidity and electrical properties of plastic materials.
- Modified PPS: conductive PPS, antistatic PPS, electromagnetic shielding PPS, high abrasion resistance PPS, high temperature resistance PPS
PPS Machining And Injection Molding Application
When using nylon (PA), polyoxymethylene (POM), polyethylene terephthalate (PET), and polysulfone (PSU) in various fields of the mechanical industry, they have defects that cannot meet the technical requirements, and use polyimide (PI) polyetheretherketone (PEEK) and polyamide-imide (PAI) are too expensive, and the choice of using PPS should be an ideal engineering plastic.
- Mechanical industry: It is especially used in the mechanical industry for the preparation of components under high humidity and strong corrosion environment. Used for housings, structural parts, wear parts and sealing materials, such as pump housings, pump wheels, valves, bearings, bearing brackets, piston rings and gears, pulleys, fans, flowmeter parts, flanges, universal Head, counter, level, etc.
- Electrical appliances: miniature electronic component packaging, connectors, connectors, sockets, coil skeletons, motor housings, electromagnetic adjustment disks, TV high-frequency head shafts, relays, trimmer capacitors, fuse holders, radio cassette recorders, magnetic therapy devices and other components . Also used in precision instruments: housings and components of computers, timers, tachometers, copiers, cameras, temperature sensors, and various measuring instruments.
- Automotive industry: PPS accounts for about 45% of the automotive industry, mainly used for functional automotive parts; igniters, heaters, carburetor, clutches, transmissions, gearboxes, bearing brackets, lampshades, bumpers, fans, exhaust systems As well as parts for mirrors and lamp holders. It can replace metal exhaust cylinder circulation valve, water pump impeller, pneumatic signal conditioner, etc.
- Household appliances: protective coatings and components for hot air dryers, hair curlers, hair dryers, hair irons, microwave ovens, coffee pots, clothes dryers, electric irons, rice cookers, etc.
- Chemical industry: PPS has excellent adhesion and corrosion resistance, and is very suitable for lining chemical equipment.